November 4, 2007

What’s the meaning behind this blog’s title?

Initially, I didn’t think of meaning . . . it just sounded good. But then I actually gave it some thought, and realized that I really liked it, particularly because I feel that it truly describes how many things in this world actually are.

It's easy . . . (1) First there is a period of accumulation (of knowledge, or resources, etc.), and (2) there is a process of distilling whatever was accumulated with the aim of fulfilling a certain objective (this does not necessarily have to be something deterministic).

A quick example for now will suffice, later I will provide some additional examples with some actual classifications, etc. (I can even include some brief philosophical implications for those interested).

Example:
The way we think and learn: first we must gather information, and then we distill it for whatever means we need. For example, in my dad to day, we need to ultimately provide the client with a strategic recommendation. In order to do this, we first must understand and amass as much information about the industry, the product, etc. Only then, can we become more selective in what we pursue.

No comments: